Considering the pandemic facing the world, we all have to stay indoor with little or nothing to do hence this is the perfect time to get the best exercise bike for bad knees.
Bad knees are common problems amongst people of varying ages, with causes not particularly associated with an underlying disease or infection.
Asides medical conditions such as arthritis, osteoarthritis and gout, injuries and heavy physical exercise could also lead to inflammation of the joints in the knee.
Exercises alongside healthy eating of necessary nutrients help reduce inflammation and strengthens the muscles in the knee.
Cycling, walking and swimming are exercises that focus on the joints to build muscle strength. Of which cycling doesn’t necessarily need to be done outdoors, there are stationary bikes best for indoor use.
Recommended Post: Best Exercise Bike for Tall Person
Best Exercise Bike for Arthritic Knees
IDEER Folding Exercise Bike, Foldable Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike with 8 Resistance Levels, Heart Rate, Speed, Time, Distance, Calorie Monitor, Fitness Stationary Exercise Bike w/Phone Holder
The Ideer folding exercise bike is the best exercise bike for arthritic knees. With a multifunction digital LCD monitor showing information on time, speed, heart rate, distance and calories, it allows one customize and track daily workout routine.
The bike for arthritic knees is made with an ergonomic foldable compact design with convenient transport wheels allowing smooth movement.
- Adjustable ergonomic padded seat and back cushion
- Easy to assemble
- Quiet ride movement
- 6 heights adjustable levels
- Adopts 8 Levels of magnetic resistance
- Compact and mobile
- Comfortable basket pedals
- Phone/tablet holder
- Lacks resistance options
- Weight capacity restricts users above 242-lb
Common Knee Problems That Needs Exercise
Several problems could result in knee pain, many of which require good exercise for relief.
- Polymyalgia rheumatic
- Torn meniscus
- Torn ligaments
These problems affect the joints or tissues within the muscles in the body, generally the knee area. They cause inflammation in the joints, which causes stiffness and pain.
Is Cycling Good For The Arthritic Knee?
Cycling is the best form of exercise for arthritic knees. Arthritis affects the bones causing varying levels of pain.
Amongst the many treatments for arthritic knees, regular exercise increases the flexibility of the muscles. Cycling is a low impact exercise with less stress or strain on the joints and muscles.
Below are some highlighted benefits of cycling to arthritic knees.
10 Best Exercise Bike for Bad Knees
1. Marcy Regenerating Recumbent Exercise Bike with Adjustable Seat, Pulse Monitor and Transport Wheels ME-706
The Marcy magnetic bike is a self-generating recumbent bike powered up by pedaling. It requires no external source of power or batteries.
This equipment has its rider’s weight evenly distributed supported by an adjustable padded seat with handles to enable a safe and comfortable grip.
Lastly, it allows for one to customize their cycling workout with its varying levels of resistance.
- Premium steel construction
- A lever-based adjustable seat system
- LCD monitor with LED backlight
- Adjustable levers
- Transport wheels for easy mobility
- Gripped pedals
- Weight capacity allows users weighing up to 300-lb
- Multiple levels of resistance with 23 program options
- The instruction manual isn’t explanatory
2. Stamina Wirk Under Desk Exercise Bike
The Stamina bike is a low profile exercise bike that allows a smooth cycling experience. It has a wireless scanning monitor that can be set on the desk.
Also, the bike’s pedals are designed with straps to secure the feet keeping it from slipping. The wireless monitor displays workout time, distance and calories burned per minute.
It is best for sedentary people as it allows easy access for a workout.
- Textured pedals
- Adopts 8 levels of silent magnetic resistance
- Easy to convey around
- Requires no source of power or battery to start
- The monitor doesn’t display heartbeat
- Display monitor requires battery
3. Goplus Magnetic Exercise Bike, Stationary Belt Drive Bicycle, with LCD Monitor, Indoor Cycling Bike for Home Gym Cardio Workout (30 lbs Flywheel)
Experience the real feeling of outdoor sports with the multi-position adjustment buttons of the exercise bike.
The magnetic exercise bike has its seat designed ergonomically for adjustments either horizontally or vertically to meet the different heights of people.
Furthermore, the handlebars also allow adjustment to fit diverse training positions. The 30lbs flying wheels provide a fluent cycling exercise.
- Durable transport wheels at the front base
- Pedals are caged shaped
- Easy to assemble
- Large weight-bearing capacity
- Has 6 magnetic resistance levels
- Push down brake system
- Accommodates users with heights 5’ to 6’4”
- Adjustable handrail
- Sport Armrest
- LCD monitor
- Short warranty period
- Uses battery to power up
- Limited resistance options
4. FLEXISPOT Desk Exercise Bike Home Office Standing Desk Cycle, Deskcise Pro – White
Stiffness in the joints is a common symptom of arthritis, and it increases with prolonged sitting. Flexispot desk exercise bike is a home/office exercise bike that increases activity for a daily workout with its sit-stand workstation.
The exercise bike is designed with a fully adjustable broad desktop and a handle set to provide a perfect position to work and exercise simultaneously.
- Compact and space-saving
- Has 8 levels of magnetic tension resistance
- Accommodates uses with a height range from 5’ to 6’1”
- Height-adjustable seat
- Effortlessly mobile
- The desktop is adjustable to fit the working position
- Uses a 2 AA battery to power the LCD
- Desktop doesn’t tilt
- Not a backlit LCD monitor
5. Exerpeutic 1000 Magnetic Hig Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike for Seniors
Enjoy comfort while exercising with this high capacity recumbent bike. It features a step-through design with extended leg stabilizers for support during a workout.
Also, the recumbent exercise bike includes a precision-balanced flywheel, a V-belt and cranking system to provide a smooth and consistent pedalling motion.
Lastly, the seat has a backrest with hand pulse pads to ensure one stays within the heart rate zone.
- Flywheel is precision-balanced
- Has 8 levels of magnetic resistance for workout intensity
- Large cushion seat with backrest
- Pedals designed with straps
- Maximum user weight of 300lbs
- Allows height users of 5’3” to 6’3”
- Transport wheels aids relocation
- No bottle holder
- Restricts users below 5’3”
Recommended Post: Best Rated Recumbent Bike for Seniors
6. Sunny Health & Fitness Fully Assembled Magnetic Under Desk Elliptical – SF-E3872, Grey
The sunny health exercise bike for bad knees is a low impact elliptical bike that positively affects majorly on the ankle, knee and hip area.
This space-saving machine allows convenience during a workout at any place seated. It features a belt drive mechanism with magnetic resistance for a smooth and quiet workout experience.
Lastly, it is perfect for improving blood circulation, improved lower body joint and muscle stamina.
- Bike is pre-assembled
- Carry handle allows easy mobility
- Large textured non-slip pedals
- Digital monitor display
- No dependency on weight
- Has 8 levels of resistance motion
- Stride length is 7-inches
- Dependent on batteries to power up
7. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike Exercise Bike, 220lb Capacity, Monitor, Pulse Rate Monitoring – P8400
The fancy-looking recumbent bike with its appalling look helps in achieving a low to moderate impact workout.
It has a fast and reliable magnetic resistance system adjustable to 8 different levels. Besides, the handlebars have pulse sensors to help monitor and maintain heart rate during a workout.
- Compact and space-saving
- Non-slip foot pedal to accommodate all sizes
- The seat is adjustable in a forward/backward motion
- Digital monitor display
- Adjustable cushion seat with backrest
- Transport wheels
- Maximum weight is 220lb
- No tablet holder
8. Hausse Folding Exercise Peddler Portable Pedal Exerciser with Electronic Display, Black
The Hausse exercise bike is a convenient exercise bicycle with the ability to strengthen the arms and legs muscles.
It is positioned either on the floor or the table during a workout. It features an electronic display which shows exercise time, revolution time, calories burnt and tracks workout progress. The preferred desk height for a workout is above 47 inches.
- Bike is pre-assembled
- Compact with easy mobility
- Adjustable knobs to control resistance levels
- Foot band is adjustable to fit users of varying sizes
- Overheats when used for a prolonged period
9. Progear 555LXT Magnetic Tension Recumbent Bike with Workout Goal Setting Computer
The Progear 555LXT recumbent exercise bike is made from a durable and stable steel frame making it one of the best exercise bike for bad knees.
Interestingly, the stationary bike allows program customization of workout goals to achieve the workout you want with the time, distance and calories burned targets.
Moreover, it features an infinite seat slider that permits position adjustments for users of height 5’ to 6’3”. It adopts 14 levels of smooth magnetic resistance and has a widescreen LCD.
- Built-in Bottle and tablet holder
- Extended cushioned seat with backrest
- Transport wheel for easy mobility
- Handlebars are soft gripped
- Oversized pedals with foot strap
- Step-through design allows easy climbing
- Maximum weight capacity is 250lb
- Requires 2 AAA batteries to power the computer LCD
10. Doufit Folding Exercise Bike with Arm Workout, EB-01 Quiet Indoor Upright Bicycle with Backrest and Resistance Bands for Home Use
A quiet indoor cycling bike with sensitive digital and pulse sensors on the handlebars to conveniently track one’s heartbeat.
The exercise bike is equipped with eight levels of magnetic resistance and two resistance band to achieve a full-body workout. It offers all the benefit of healthy exercise at home.
- Comfortable cushion seat with backrest
- Digital monitor to track sport data
- Easily folded and moved
- The textured pedal includes a large belt
- 5 levels of seat height
- 7 adjustable pedal length
- Maximum weight capacity is 245lb
- The monitor requires a battery to power up
Benefits of Cycling for Bad Knees
- It helps to improve muscle function
- Improves blood circulation
- It relaxes and rebuilds the muscles
- Limits the weight impact on joint areas
- Helps in lubricating the joint therefore reducing stiffness
- Enhances the quality of life
- Helps in improving sleep quality
What Is the Best Exercise Bike for Bad Knees
Stationary bike still stands as the best exercise bike for bad knees as it helps those with physical limitations.
A recumbent bike is an example of an indoor exercise bike that places the rider in a laid-back inclined position.
It is the best exercise bike for individuals with muscular and joint problems, as it provides a workout for people of all ability levels.
Very much designed to provide back support during use with its pedals located forward-facing the bike, the recumbent bike is a great stationary bike recommended by the physician for those who have undergone knee surgery and require rehabilitation.
Let’s analyze this, as easy as it sounds, getting the best exercise can be very challenging. You want to create an environment for a safe workout on your arthritic knee.
There are things to be conscious of when buying an exercise bike for bad knees.
How to Choose the Best Exercise Bike for Bad Knees
Quality has an immense effect on the price. The price increases with quality improvement. For starters, a simple bike could do the work.
But for subsequent and continuous usage, investing in an expensive bike would be the best option.
The design of the exercise bike is a crucial factor. A good exercise bike with a durable frame would have ample weight capacity and can be utilized for a prolonged period.
Maximum Weight Capacity
Limitation in physical activity is an essential factor when purchasing an exercise bike for bad knees.
Persons with severe knee problem do not necessarily need a bike with varying resistance motion. Rehabilitation is just focused on a consistent resistance on the bike, not particularly altering the levels of resistance.
For obese patients, a stationary bike with weight capacity supporting up to 300-lb or 325-lb is most suitable.
Depending on the room available for the bike, convenience is necessary. A folding exercise bike is the best choice for smaller places.
Exercise bike with transportation wheels could be an option for those with large spaces, as it permits stress-free location change.
The ability to adjust the parts of the bike to fit one’s need cannot be overemphasized. This entails the seat height, levers for balance in any location and the pedal’s grip.
All these dimensions should be known before purchasing a stationary bike for bad knees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Electricity Required To Power Up The Bike?
Not all bikes requires electricity to power up, there are self-generating bikes that require no power source. Some bikes require batteries to power up only the Display monitor.
Why Is The Magnetic Bike Most Preferred?
The magnetic bike uses electromagnetic induction to provide resistance when pedaling. There is hardly a problem regarding wear and tear as no parts come in contact.
Is the Pedal Bi-Directional?
Yes, pedalling is allowed in a backward and forward motion for most exercise bikes. The goal is to reduce the pain caused by bad knees and strengthen the joints in the knee.
For patients with arthritis and osteoarthritis, you should inform your doctor before becoming active in cycling.
Cycling exercise can be much comfortable and convenient if the conditions are well understood.
Stationary bikes make cycling much easier for people with limited physical movement, allowing them to exercise from the comfort of their homes.
I’ll advise you to consider the different cycling options, choose your bike equipment and remember to watch your pace during the workout.